Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summary of Dr. Sundue Tuesday morning 8-16

Dr. Sundue's presentation was fantastic this morning! She is very bad for my self esteem. :) She is so knowledgeable, so passionate, such a great speaker, I feel kind of like a loser. I loved what I learned about Ben Franklin, and how I could use this information in my class. I loved how Dr. Sundue commented that Madonna was like a modern day Ben Franklin in that he constantly reinvented himself. The portraits she showed us made that pretty obvious. We definitely saw 3 different Bens! It's just fascinating to think of history through this lens. We are so used to hearing about Ben and all his virtues. In fact, his best virtue was his ability to make friends with rich people and make them want to help him! Thanks Dr. Sundue for a memorable morning!

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Sundue reminded me of Dr. Bauer....just a walking encyclopedia of content knowledge! My pen didn't move fast enough to keep up with all that she had to share. She definitely opened up my perspective too, on how we view historical figures and how so much is about "image". Now we'd call it "spin control", but then they would commissioned new portraits, I guess. :) I thought that your points about Sundue and the way she analyzed public persona went hand in hand with Dr. "Den Den's" discussion about Jefferson: hero or villain of history.

    ReplyDelete